6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Re SYM-1 mini board
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 pm 

Michael wrote:
chessdoger wrote:
... yes in the end if you are using a ttl to USB module ..that will probably have to be inverted...

Bummer! I was hoping to avoid adding another chip.

Quote:
... But as I replied before .. you could probably modify the supermon code to invert the signals.. however I think it be bit hard if you are not understanding how the whole I/o for CRT works ..I sort of looked at it at one point .. and said naghh ..best leave alone...

I was hoping you knew how to modify the SUPERMON code. No worry! I'll take a look at it.

Quote:
... In a similar way I looked at using pics to control etc and be part of the old micro system ... you end up in timing issues...

I haven't experienced any timing issues or anomalies but I spent a great deal of time doing research and performing experiments to verify system and bus timing. I'm using a 64-MHz PIC (Tcy = 62.5-ns) which is approximately the same performance level as a 16-MHz AVR.

Hi

Quote:
... Gals(PLD's) are almost at logic gate speed in execution(again depending on number of functions to perform ) and some of them can do it in 50ns or less.. I think you be pushing a micro controller to execute software and issue I/O signals that fast...

GALs in DIP packages are great and I would use them if it weren't for; (1) the dwindling availability of high speed parts, (2) the cost, (3) the power consumption, and (4) the lack of a good DIY programmer design.

Please don't dismiss the capabilities of the PIC in an SBC design. Could I take a moment to explain its operation, please?

Since the PIC is generating the 1-MHz clock, it knows exactly when the address lines become valid during each 65C02 clock cycle. The PIC has plenty of time to look up the chip select pattern for the page being addressed and to update the chip select outputs 187.5-nsecs before the PHI0 rising edge. In fact, the PIC only uses three instruction cycles for the "soft decoder" function out of every sixteen instruction cycles that make up each 65C02 clock cycle.

Using a PIC in an SBC design isn't for everyone. In my case, I use it to provide reset, clock, and address decoder functions and to provide "blind loader" and "blind monitor" functions (including single-step capability) that run outside of 6502 address space. The capability of the "soft decoder" is pretty remarkable, too. Uploading a new 256 byte "decoder map" file into PIC flash memory over the serial port is all that's needed to map memory and resources to recreate an Apple-I, a KIM-1, an Elector Junior, etc., or to experiment with zero page I/O.

More later. Cheerful regards, Mike

Hi Michael,

You obviously seem to have gone much further than I have wrt to pics and external control. I must admit I have not played with any fast pics .. Best I had was a 40Mhz 18f4550 chip ..and I don't think I ever ran it that fast ..mainly 20Mhz

Anyway great in what you are doing ..I'd be very much interested in any outcomes you are willing to share .... I mainly play around with pic basic pro and pics .. but I assume in what you are doing ..you might be dealing at assembly level programming ..which is not that scary ..if it is small type programs ..once it goes over a page or so ..I usually give up.. and try to look at an easier way of doing things..

I actually set out once to use an external NVram and DMA contol it between the pic and an old micro (like say a 6502) ..i,e use pic to pre load the ram/ed\it etc ..once all there.. transfer the Nvram to micro to run .. in that case you would not need super fast pic .. and could do all the control even through pic basic .. I sort of started that ..but got carried away with other stuff

Meantime I've seen people use pld's and I had to have a go with them.. they are easy to implement (could be horrable to program..but for simple stuff like cobinatorial logic ..it is easy .. once you get hang of it..

As far as price .. they are not that expensive (even compared to pics) about $5 for 22V10 24 pin chip.. has 22pins to play with..

programming them yes that can be an issue .. I ended up buying Wellon 290 programmer that can do them (about $150) .. but I believe G540 which is about half price will do them too. Best suggestion I can make about programmers and pld's ..is make sure the programmer can support it and see if someone has already used them for that chip ..since some manufacturers claim support for lot of chip .. but some of them just do not work...

All the best

mc

https://sites.google.com/site/gogleoops/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm 

BillO wrote:
Michael wrote:
GALs in DIP packages are great and I would use them if it weren't for; (1) the dwindling availability of high speed parts, (2) the cost, (3) the power consumption, and (4) the lack of a good DIY programmer design.

1) & 2) Don't know how many you'd need, but I got 150 (50xGAL16V8, 50xGAL20V8, 50xGAL22V10) on eBay a couple of years ago for $80, all in. Just checked now on eBay. Still lots for sale at about a $1 a piece. Modern Atmel ATF750CLs can be had around $5 and they are still in production.

3) Power consumption for the Atmel ATF750CL (22V10) is about 0.15ma

4) I use WinCUPL (free from Atmel) and a $40 programmer I got off eBay that supports about 10,000 other devices.

The propagation delay for the Atmel ATF750CL is listed at about 15ns or less. Not too bad for most 6502 purposes. And if need be, you can still find CPLDs guaranteed to be less than 4ns. As well, CUPL is real easy to use. Just as easy, if not easier than, programming a PIC in C. Much easier than assembler. Just simple logic statements.

Of course, if you're a PIC guy, you might see Atmel as the evil empire :D

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Both are pretty good choices depending on your needs.

I appreciate all the info, Bill. Thank you.

I've often wondered if something like Daryl's "DEC-1" decoder could be modified to produce a /RAM select for everywhere outside of I/O space located in zero page. That is, could it be made to produce four I/O chip select outputs in the range of $0080-00BF, for example, and a single RAM chip select output for $0000-007F & $00C0-FFFF? I wouldn't need a ROM select output but I would need something like an "enable" input to turn the decoder on or off during PIC "blind loader" or "blind monitor" operations when the PIC needs to push/pull instructions and data to/from the CPU over the data bus from outside of 6502 address space.

It sounds like you've got all the resources needed to take advantage of GAL logic. Very cool!

BTW, the Atmel AVR microcontrollers and devices seem pretty neat. I've just never had an opportunity to try them out.

Cheerful regards, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 am 

Hi mc (chessdoger),

May I ask if there's a way to add the missing "single-step" feature to your mini SYM-1 design, please? Perhaps by modifying the GAL logic? After taking a peek at the SYM-1 documentation, this seems like a "must have" feature, even for a reduced-feature mini system.

Cheerful regards, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am 

Michael wrote:
Hi mc (chessdoger),

May I ask if there's a way to add the missing "single-step" feature to your mini SYM-1 design, please? Perhaps by modifying the GAL logic? After taking a peek at the SYM-1 documentation, this seems like a "must have" feature, even for a reduced-feature mini system.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Hi I assume you are asking about debug feature ... I did not connect the debug buttons as such as they involved using another PIA (6522) chip .. unless you are keen on redirecting everything through 6532 and re editing the monitor.. which sort of makes it nonstandard then.. I also had looked at redirecting the cassette tape input to the 6532 ..and not have it through another PIA .. but thinking about it .. if you can load and save though a terminal program .. somehow..is just as easy through the terminal ....as having to add extra circuit to save to audio and back .. so put that on back burner for now..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 pm 

I assumed the Debug on/off push buttons and few surrounding gates of U7 and U8 that route the SYNC signal to the NMI pin were all that was necessary to support single-step operation.

Please forgive me. My question was premature. I'll continue reading the documentation.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Attachments:
SYM-1 single-step.png
SYM-1 single-step.png [ 209.25 KiB | Viewed 2795 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:53 pm 

Hi mc (chessdoger),

I found a better schematic segment in Figure 4-6 on page 4-19 of the SYM Reference Manual that shows the connection between 6522 VIA #3 (U29) and the "debug" hardware (excerpt below). Thank you for pointing out the dependency. It seems VIA #3 outputs PA4 (labeled "DON") and PA5 (labeled "DOF") provide SUPERMON with a way to turn "debug" on and off. Is that correct?

Back to my research.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Attachments:
SYM-1 Debug.png
SYM-1 Debug.png [ 42.51 KiB | Viewed 2766 times ]

Last edited by Michael on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:29 pm 

Michael wrote:
I've often wondered if something like Daryl's "DEC-1" decoder could be modified to produce a /RAM select for everywhere outside of I/O space located in zero page. That is, could it be made to produce four I/O chip select outputs in the range of $0080-00BF, for example, and a single RAM chip select output for $0000-007F & $00C0-FFFF? I wouldn't need a ROM select output but I would need something like an "enable" input to turn the decoder on or off during PIC "blind loader" or "blind monitor" operations when the PIC needs to push/pull instructions and data to/from the CPU over the data bus from outside of 6502 address space.

That should be very possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm 

BillO wrote:
Michael wrote:
That should be very possible.
Very cool... I'd love to see what the GAL program would look like for that!

Regards, Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:48 am 

Hi Mike (chessdoger),

While I continue to read and soak up SYM-1 documentation, could I take advantage of your SYM-1 knowledge and experience, please?

Is there a CRT mode command to turn Debug mode on and off when running in a terminal session via the CRT (serial) interface or do you still have to toggle Debug mode on and off using the push buttons on the keypad? I realize you could probably just call the DBON (80E4) and DBOFF (80D3) subroutines using the 'Go' command but are there dedicated CRT mode commands for toggling Debug mode on and off that I haven't come across yet in the documentation?

How familiar are you with the SuperMon monitor? Are the 6522 VIA#3 (U29) PA4 ('DON') and PA5 ('DOF') connections to the Debug circuit flip-flop just used for the Trace portion of the Debug feature? IOW, does the single-step portion of the Debug feature also rely on 6522 VIA#3 'DON' and 'DOFF' signals? I can't quite tell by looking at SuperMon (yet).

TIA... Regards, Mike

Added: While reading the SYM-1 Reference Manual I came across text on page 9-14 that says you have to press the Debug ON push button on the keypad before pressing G and <cr> in order to continue single-stepping through a program. Does this match your experience using the SYM-1?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Welcome chessdoger! Nice project - and some intriguing blank spaces on your website - let us know as you fill those out!

Cheers
Ed

have few more boards now ..still have z80 board to come and few more 6502 boards

https://sites.google.com/site/gogleoops/home